Friday, January 7, 2011

Utah hosts #6 San Diego State in MWC home opener

Utah (7-8, 0-1 MWC) hosts #6 San Diego State (16-0, 1-0 MWC) tomorrow at 2 p.m. MT. The game will be televised on Versus. I'll be at the game and tweeting updates throughout the contest so check it out. I'll also be back on here afterward for recap and analysis. The Runnin' Utes have lost 5 straight games and should have won at the very least 3 of them based on talent. Utah badly needs a win and seems to match up well with the Aztecs. I would have thought a victory was possible just a couple of weeks ago (i.e. before this extended losing streak), but I just don't see Utah snapping the losing streak against the sixth-ranked (and undefeated) team in the country. The entire losing streak took play on the road or a neutral court and I think the Runnin' Utes will be more comfortable and play better at home, where they are 6-1 on the season. However, I think San Diego State is undefeated for a reason and will find a way to win this game. I'll take the Aztecs by about 10.

San Diego State has four players that average double figures in scoring, led by forward Kawhi Leonard who averages 15.6 points per game along with 9.7 rebounds per game. Leonard is physical and a real handful on the post and I think he will be able to be effective tomorrow afternoon. Forward Malcolm Thomas averages 12.0 points per game and guard D.J. Gay averages 11.4 points per game. The Aztecs have a lot of talent plus they are really athletic. They have been that way for years, but this season they have finally put it all together to win on a very consistent basis.

Just because I picked San Diego State doesn't mean I am without hope for tomorrow's game. I'll be there early and ready to cheer. The Runnin' Utes could very well give them a game and I am hopeful that they will. Let's go Utah!

No comments:

Post a Comment