Friday, January 7, 2011

NFL playoff picks

Okay so here are my picks for the NFL playoffs. I'll start with this weekend's games and also go through the entire postseason. It all starts tomorrow with a doubleheader on NBC with the Saints (11-5) at the Seahawks (7-9) at 2:30 p.m. MT and the Jets (11-5) at the Colts (10-6) at 6 p.m. MT. On Sunday it's the Ravens (12-4) at the Chiefs (10-6) at 11 a.m. MT on CBS and the Packers (10-6) at the Eagles (10-6) at 2 p.m. MT on FOX.

I'll take the Saints over the Seahawks and the Colts over the Jets. The Seahawks just aren't a very good team (the first to make the playoffs with a losing record) and the Saints are the defending Super Bowl champions and just have a better team. The Colts will be at home and have Peyton Manning who I think has the intangibles to help his team to victory. On Sunday, I'll take the Ravens over the Chiefs on the strength of their stingy defense and playoff experience and I'll take the Eagles over the Packers in the later game. The Packers will be a tough out, but the Eagles will be at home and have the x-factor in Michael Vick. Players like Manning and Vick are often the guys who sway close match-ups in favor of their teams.

In the AFC second round, I'll take the Patriots (14-2) over the Ravens and the Steelers (12-4) over the Colts. The Ravens' defense will keep the game close but the Patriots have been a buzzsaw lately and I don't think the Ravens have enough, particularly on offense, to come out with a road win. The Steelers and Colts is a bit of a toss up, but I like the Steelers who are once again a gritty team and enjoy a substantial home field advantage.

In the NFC second round, I'll go with the Saints over the Falcons (13-3) and the Eagles over the Bears (11-5). The Falcons have had a great season, but the Saints have Drew Brees and the experience of having been there before. Plus, the Saints just won in Atlanta toward the end of the season and will use that confidence to help propel them to another win. The Eagles over the Bears will be another close one, but I like the Eagles on the strength of Vick and with how many explosive players they have.

In the conference title games, I'll pick the Patriots over the Steelers and the Eagles over the Saints. The Patriots will be at home and I think they'll handle the Steelers by about 10 points behind the strength of Tom Brady and continue riding their momentum. The Eagles will be at home and I think the colder weather will work to their advantage, plus Vick and Desean Jackson, etc.

In the Super Bowl I'll go with the Patriots over my Eagles. I think the Eagles will give them a game, but the Patriots will win by a touchdown. Vick should help make things interesting, but I think the Patriots just have too much in terms of talent, momentum and focus. I'll be cheering against the Patriots the entire way, but that's just the way I see it shaking out. I'll be back before each playoff round to give picks as well. Go Eagles!

No comments:

Post a Comment