Friday, January 28, 2011

More thoughts on BYU-SDSU

Just to wrap up what I was saying about the SDSU-BYU game the other night, I thought both teams played well defensively and I think the crowd and Fredette were the differences in the game. I think it can really work on a team's psyche when they start realizing that they are against the ropes for the first time in the season and the thought that there is a good chance they could lose enters their mind. A huge crowd cheering against you helps to build those feelings as well.

#9 BYU (20-1, 6-0 MWC) took the lead early in the 2nd half and never trailed again. # 4 San Diego State (20-1, 5-1 MWC) was able to stay in the game with good defense and a few timely shots, but they really weren't able to execute offensively down the stretch. I think BYU's defense had a lot to do with that. And of course, Fredette made some key shots for BYU down the stretch as well. The Aztecs seemed to struggle on offense late, I feel like if they could have just been a little more consistent, the game could have even come down to the final possession. Kawhi Leonard had a big game with points and rebounds for San Diego State despite being under the weather and I believe hooked up to an IV earlier in the day. Leonard is a real force down low and an incredible athlete -- he gets rebounds that he just doesn't look like he is in position to get. His effort was impressive. I'll be interested to see how long Fredette can keep up this high level of scoring. BYU plays at New Mexico (14-7, 2-4 MWC) tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. MT on Versus and San Diego State hosts Wyoming (8-12, 1-5 MWC) at 8 p.m. MT on the Mtn.

2 comments:

  1. So what do you think about Broylin will he be back next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Broylin will be there next year, but I think the jury's still out on Boylen though. I just blogged some about this, I don't think a losing record in MWC play will cut it at all. He probably needs to at least 9-7 in MWC play if you ask me or 8-8 while winning the conference tourney. That seems like a tall order to me at this point, but as a fan I'm willing to wait out the season and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete