Thursday, April 22, 2010

Van Gundy, Brown each make own kind of interesting comments

The Orlando Magic vs. Charlotte Bobcats playoff series hasn't been very interesting to me, unless you count quotes both coaches made recently that I feel inclined to comment on.

During practice on Tuesday, Bobcats coach Larry Brown had a message for his team: "Orlando took the day off. That's how (expletive) serious they're taking us." I, like Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, find this pretty funny. I'm pretty sure the Magic are taking the first round seriously as evidenced by their 92-77 win last night to go up 2 games to none in the series. I'm sure Brown was trying to fire up his team, but that just seemed silly, and if anything just gave more motivation to Orlando. I still think this will be a pretty short series; we'll see if Charlotte can do anything at home the next two games.

Van Gundy, meanwhile, had criticisms for the first round schedule. "It's almost like you're on a high school schedule or a college schedule playing twice a week. ... Baseball gets their whole playoffs and World Series done in like three weeks. Us, it takes us the first round to go three weeks." He went on to say that he knew it was for TV and that he knew it helped teams to make money so he would be willing to play when told to play.

I'm pretty much on board with Van Gundy's point -- I do think the early rounds of the NBA playoffs can be too spread out, but I am glad that all the games are on TV at times I can watch them. I wish there was a way to condense the schedule a little bit and still make it TV friendly, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Here's the other NBA Playoffs scores from the past couple of days:

Tuesday:
Game 2 -- (3) Atlanta 96, (6) Milwaukee 86 (Hawks lead 2-0)
Game 2 -- (4) Boston 106, (5) Miami 77 (Celtics lead 2-0)
Game 2 -- (3) Phoenix 119, (6) Portland 90 (Series tied 1-1)
Game 2 -- (1) LA Lakers 95, (8) Oklahoma City 92 (Lakers lead 2-0)

Wednesday:
Game 2 -- (7) San Antonio 102, (2) Dallas 88 (Series tied 1-1)

And here's the schedule for tonight:
Game 3 -- (1) Cleveland at (8) Chicago, 5 p.m. MT (TNT, Cavaliers lead 2-0)
Game 3 -- (1) LA Lakers at (8) Oklahoma City, 7:30 p.m. MT (TNT, Lakers lead 2-0)
Game 3 -- (3) Phoenix at (6) Portland, 8 p.m. MT (NBA TV, Series tied 1-1)

1 comment:

  1. I don't agree with Van Gundy much but he's right on target here.

    ReplyDelete