Monday, April 26, 2010

Baseball Weekend Review 4/26/2010, Howard extension

Ryan Howard got a big contract extension, that and more in the Baseball Weekend Review 4/26/2010:

Most impressive performance: The Chicago Cubs (9-10) had a convincing sweep on the road at the Milwaukee Brewers (8-10), winning by scores of 8-1, 5-1 and 12-2. The Cubs were the better team in just about every faze of the game over the three games at Miller Park. I'm surprised by their dominance this past weekend and I thought they showed glimpses of their division winning team of 2008 that played so well. I think they are moving things in the right direction. For the Brewers, I think this is cause for concern, but I also think they'll stay within striking distance in the Central for at least a little while.

Another impressive performance: The San Diego Padres (11-7) had stretched their winning streak to eight games before dropping the finale of their series to the Reds in Cincinnati. I didn't think the Padres would be a threat at all this year, but they have been playing some good baseball of late and are in first place in the NL West. I don't think they'll stay in the race, but they're off to a good start.

Least impressive performance: The Pittsburgh Pirates (7-11) were swept again, this time in Houston by the Astros (8-10) who had started the year 0-8. At least the scores this weekend weren't as lopsided as they were in their previous series against the Brewers, this time it was 4-3, 5-2 and 10-3. The Bucs look like they're in for another long year. The Astros are starting to turn it around but I still don't think they'll be close to the playoffs.


Regarding my predictions: I correctly picked the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (10-10) to take two of three from the New York Yankees (12-6) in what was one of the weekend's better series. We'll see if the Angels can use this to launch themselves to more series like this. I totally missed on the Brewers-Cubs series as I picked Milwaukee to win two of three. I got the Astros to win the series but not the sweep and I missed on the Giants taking two of three from the Cardinals (but I'll take it).

San Francisco Giants (10-8) Review: See below.

Final thought: The Philadelphia Phillies (11-7) signed star first baseman Ryan Howard to a five year, $125 million contract extension that should keep him in Philadelphia through at least 2016. It's a big deal that this contract got done as Howard is a key to what the Phillies do and is the biggest power threat in the middle of their order. I didn't know that this deal would get done with all the difficulties in contract talks the two sides have had in the past but I'm glad it did. It's good that he'll be staying in Philly for a while on my second favorite team.

No comments:

Post a Comment