Saturday, September 3, 2011

More college football predictions

Don't worry, I'll have an update on the World Champion San Francisco Giants (73-65) and their big series this weekend against the Arizona Diamondbacks (78-60) either tomorrow or Monday. But now, I'm going to break down the other Utah I-A schools. Let's start with that school down south, BYU:

-- Sat. 9/3: at Ole Miss -- Loss. I think BYU probably has more talent, but I think traveling all the way across the country to play in heat and humidity in front of a hostile SEC crowd will take its toll. I think Ole Miss pulls it out at home by 4.
-- Sat. 9/10: at Texas: -- Loss. Not an easy place to play at all and the Longhorns are typically pretty tough. Texas by 10 or 14.
-- Sat. 9/17: vs. Utah: -- Win. Not easy for me to type, but being objective, that's my pick. BYU appears to have a distinct edge at quarterback, plus will be at home and attempting to avenge last year's last-second defeat. I think the Cougars win it, but it will be close, as it usually seems to be.
-- Fri. 9/23: vs. UCF: -- Win. BYU should win this one by I'll say 14. UCF might be a little tougher than people think, but BYU should be able to handle them in Provo.
-- Fri. 9/30: vs. Utah State -- Win. The Cougars should be motivated to avenge the embarrassing loss last year in Logan and I think will win by a couple of scores.
-- Sat. 10/8: vs. San Jose State -- Win. BYU should win this one by at least 28 points, San Jose State's program has been awful for some time now.
-- Sat. 10/15: at Oregon State -- Win. I think Jake Heaps will be the difference in this one as the Cougars pull out a squeaker on the road.
-- Sat. 10/22: vs. Idaho State -- Win. Just a mere walk-over. Shouldn't be remotely close.
-- Fri. 10/28: at TCU -- Loss. Game played at Cowboys Stadium. The Horned Frogs will be playing in front of largely a home crowd and always seem to get up for BYU. Plus, TCU is pretty good. I think the Frogs win by 7.
-- Sat. 11/12: vs. Idaho -- Win. This should be a win by at least three scores, particularly at home.
-- Sat. 11/19: vs. New Mexico State -- Win. Should be a very lopsided victory as NMSU has been really bad for quite a while.
-- Sat. 12/3: at Hawaii -- Win. I think Hawaii will be up for this game and the Warriors always seem to play BYU tough on the islands, but I don't think Hawaii has enough talent to pull the upset, although it will be a close game. BYU by a field goal.

There you have it, 9-3 and a bowl game in their first season as an Independent. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Now I know Utah State is already underway, but to be fair I had already chalked up today as a loss for them. Here's the breakdown for the Aggies:

-- Sat. 9/3: at Auburn -- Loss. I'm surprised USU is up at halftime as I had them pegged to lose this game big, but I still don't think they pull off the upset.
-- Sat. 9/10: vs. Weber State -- Win. Should be relatively easy against an in-state I-AA school.
-- Sat. 9/24: vs. Colorado State -- Win. I'm a little iffy on this one, but I think the Aggies can pull out a close one at home.
-- Fri. 9/30: at BYU -- Loss. BYU has to be really upset about last year's stunning loss in Logan and I think the Cougars win this one by a couple of touchdowns.
-- Sat. 10/8: vs. Wyoming -- Win. The Pokes just aren't that good and I think Utah State wins by 10 or 14 at home.
-- Sat. 10/15: at Fresno State -- Loss. Fresno State is a solid program and although I think Utah State will be better this year, I don't think they will be good enough to win this one on the road.
-- Sat. 10/22: vs. Louisiana Tech -- Win. Utah State should handle a mediocre Louisana Tech squad at home.
-- Sat. 11/5: at Hawaii -- Loss. Hawaii is traditionally quite tough at home and I just don't see the Aggies flying all the way out to the islands and coming back with a win.
-- Sat. 11/12: vs. San Jose State -- Win. The Spartans have been one of the worst teams in I-A in recent years, Utah State should win this one easily.
-- Sat. 11/19: at Idaho -- Loss. I think the Vandals win this one close at home; Idaho has shown signs of improvement in recent years.
-- Sat. 11/26: vs. Nevada -- Loss. The Wolfpack just have more talent than the Aggies and will win in Logan by about 10.
-- Sat. 12/3: at New Mexico State -- Win. Same story as SJSU, New Mexico State has been terrible in recent years. Utah State wins by a couple of touchdowns.

That comes out as 6-6, 3-4 in the WAC and possibly a bowl bid in the first time in what feels like forever for USU. I think they would take that at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment