Sunday, September 4, 2011

Giants in dire straights; more blackout garbage

The San Francisco Giants (73-67) lost 4-1 today to the Arizona Diamondbacks (80-60) to fall seven games out of first place with only 22 games to go in the season. It's looking like an impossibly tall order for the defending champs to get back into the postseason again. The Diamondbacks just took 2 of 3 in San Francisco, including roughing up ace Tim Lincecum last night.

The Giants still aren't mathematically eliminated, but it's looking pretty dire. The Diamondbacks have now won 11 of 12 and just don't seem like they ever lose. The Giants are lucky if they're playing .500 ball over any consistent stretch lately. Things have to turn around in a hurry and there will probably have to be some luck involved for the Orange and Black to return to October.

I was unable to watch the game due to MLB's ridiculous local blackout policy -- apparently living in Salt Lake City qualifies me as being in Arizona's "local" territory. With my cable system, however, there is no channel (even on premium packages) that carries D-Backs games.

The only way someone in Utah can watch the D-Backs play is to have the high-end Sports Pack on DirecTV. Sounds a bit like a monopoly to me and like some shady dealing between MLB and DirecTV. I was formerly a DirecTV customer, but they were unable to install it at my current apartment due to a line-of-sight problem with their satellite dish. This leaves me with no options to watch most Arizona games live, even though I am an mlb.tv subscriber. Hardly seems fair. But hey, maybe I should be thankful I didn't have the opportunity to watch today's game.

No comments:

Post a Comment