Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wilson's orange shoes


Giants closer Brian Wilson has been fined $1,000 for wearing his bright orange cleats that were a gift to him at the All-Star Game in games. The fine comes on the heels of comments from Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez who said the shoes were "too flashy" and that something should be done about them. Major League Baseball told Wilson that his shoes needed to be at least 50 % black, which is the dominant color on the Giants regular home and away jerseys. In order to conform with the rules, Wilson colored in half of each shoe with what he joked were "Nike Air Sharpies" so that they are now half black and half orange. When asked if he could tell if the shoes would indeed be 50% black, he said "I've got pretty good eyes. I think I can eyeball 50 percent."

In response to Rodriguez's complaining, Wilson said "Too flashy. I didn't know that's in the rulebook. Oh it's not in the rulebook. The fact that he thinks these shoes throw 97 to 100 with cut might be a little far fetched. I guess we should have these checked as performance-enhancing shoes." Wilson is hilarious and I agree with what he's saying. Rodriguez should probably focus on worrying about his team and not on an opponent's shoes. The American League didn't complain about them at the All-Star Game. The whole thing is pretty silly to me and I think it's pretty ridiculous that Wilson was fined without a warning for such a minor thing.

1 comment: