Sunday, March 11, 2012

Thoughts on the bracket

Well, the NCAA Tournament is almost upon us. The brackets have been released and the play-in games start Tuesday (I don't care what people say, they are play-in games). Now, for my review of the bracket.

I don't think there's too much to gripe about regarding the four #1 seeds. And really, as Kansas' Bill Self, Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Missouri's Frank Haith were saying, it's not really a big deal whether you are a 1 or 2 (although I guess it's kind of cool to say you are a #1 seed, that in itself doesn't win you a trip to the Final Four or a National Championship). As Charles Barkley also said today, getting a top seed really only gets you a better deal for the first game. After that, pretty much any team can beat any other on a given day if the circumstances break right.

The most compelling discussion at this point is breaking down who should have gotten in and who should have been left out. I don't have an issue with BYU getting in, although I was surprised at a #14 seed -- I cannot remember an at-large team ever receiving such a low seed.

I was shocked that Colorado received a #11 seed, much higher than what I anticipated. If we are to actually believe that they wouldn't have been in if they hadn't beaten Arizona in the Pac-12 Tournament Championship yesterday (which I firmly believe), they should have been more like a #13 seed, a #12 seed at best (which still would have been a bit generous in my book).

Anyway, my point is that if Colorado, the sixth-place team in the Pac-12, is deserving of a #11 seed, then surely, the conference regular season champion, Washington, is deserving of at least a #11 seed (and inclusion in the Tournament). California absolutely deserved a better seed than Colorado as well, because after all they were the second-place team in the Pac-12.

Look, I'm not saying Washington necessarily deserved to get in, but logic states that if Colorado's an 11, Washington should be in. Colorado belonged more as a #13 seed. I could see that with Cal as an 11 or 12 (not in the play-in game, mind you) and Washington getting left out. That would be logical. But what happened is simply not logical.

Also, I'm surprised Iona got in. I would have taken Drexel over them every single day of the week. Drexel had a long winning streak in a good league and a good record. I don't think the CAA gets enough respect. Iona's profile just doesn't measure up to Drexel's. But, that's cool for them that they got in, I guess.

Fact is, teams like Washington had chances to get in and didn't capitalize. I don't feel as bad for them. I do feel bad for Drexel, as they didn't have as many chances at "quality" wins. But, I guess they should have beaten VCU to make sure they got in. Still, it's a downer they didn't get in. They looked like a good team watching them against VCU last Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment