Monday, March 21, 2011

Opening weekend of Madness

What a weekend of madness it was. I enjoyed it and I guess I enjoyed it so much that I didn't have much time for blogging. Here are some quick hits from the weekend that was in college hoops:

- BYU looked very impressive Saturday and will be tough to beat if they keep shooting like that.
- Butler is at it again, pulling another improbable upset and looking like they could do some more damage. The finish to that game has to be one of the most bizarre I have ever seen; I feel really bad for Pittsburgh, but I'm still happy Butler won.
- Kansas State senior Jacob Pullen was unconscious in the Wildcats' loss to Wisconsin on Saturday, pouring in 38 points and shooting an outstanding percentage. It truly was difficult to see him get very emotional as the game wound down and again during the post-game press conference. I'm a big fan of Pullen's and love watching him play. Him showing so much emotion just says to me that he has a big heart and really does care. I liked that he said he didn't care that he got the K-State scoring record but just wishes they had won. He has nothing to hang his head about and had a great career.
- Ohio State looked very impressive in their blow out of George Mason yesterday. The Buckeyes look to me like the most complete team in the country and if they play like that, I don't think anybody will be able to beat them.
-VCU has looked dominant in their three wins so far and is going to be a tough out. I couldn't believe how easily they handled Purdue yesterday and how many points they were able to put up.
- San Diego State has its first two Tournament wins under its belt and is on to its first Sweet Sixteen. They topped Temple in double overtime on Saturday; I thought the Owls did a really good job of controlling the pace of the game and nearly pulled the upset. The Aztecs should be be playing in front of supportive crowds as their next two games would potentially be in Anaheim.
- Arizona's Derrick Williams is having a huge Tournament so far, getting a game-saving block in the first round against Memphis and following that with a three-point play in the closing seconds against Texas to give the Wildcats a one-point win. Williams is displaying on a national stage that he is one of the best players in the country -- an athletic big man with great low-post moves who is also a tremendous shot-blocker on the defensive end.

No comments:

Post a Comment