Monday, January 23, 2012

Tim Thomas' inexcusable absence

The Boston Bruins visited the White House today to commemorate their 2011 Stanley Cup title. One prominent member of that squad was absent, however, in goaltender Tim Thomas. Thomas chose not to join his teammates at the White House as a sort of political stand.

Thomas released the following statement today on his Facebook page:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

To me, this is not the time or the place for Thomas to take such a stand. He is right, he is entitled to his political beliefs. However, his stance took the spotlight off of a big day for the rest of his teammates and organization. Everyone else that I read quotes from spoke glowingly of the visit.

Regardless of how Thomas or anyone else feels about the Obama administration, going to the White House is a celebrated tradition. In my view, the only reason to boycott such an occasion is if a President were to remain in office following a Watergate-type of scandal (which I don't anticipate happening, by the way). I don't think anyone was going to assume Thomas was a Democrat just because he went to the White House with his team in celebration of winning a major championship.

Thomas certainly could have found a more appropriate avenue to voice his displeasure with President Obama and the current administration. Yes, this stands out more, but the message it sends is that Thomas considers his views more important than those of his teammates. In my view, it also paints him as delusional and out of touch with pro sports and society as a whole.

Thomas is entitled to his thoughts, but through his actions he placed himself above his teammates, which is just the latest in a long line of selfish acts by star athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment