Sunday, August 8, 2010

Giants lose 3 of 4 to Braves

The Giants (63-49) lost three of four in Atlanta to the Braves (64-47) this weekend. It wasn't a particularly encouraging series to watch as they went 2 for 32 with runners in scoring position. That just isn't good enough and if you do that you're not going to win any games. Fortunately the Giants still hold a half-game Wild Card lead over the Phillies (62-49) who have been tearing it up as of late. I'm hoping the Phils just overtake the Braves in the East so I don't have to have a conflict of interest. The Giants face the Cubs (47-63) for four games this week and anything less than winning three of four will be a disappointment. I think it's realistic to aim for a sweep. The big series is this weekend at home against the first place Padres (63-46) where the Giants could very well have a chance to take over first.

Some thoughts on the series this weekend: The Braves' pitching staff looked pretty good. Their bullpen has a lot of hard throwers with movement on their pitches. That probably had something to do with the Giants not being successful with runners in scoring position. I tweeted that I think Travis Ishikawa should get more playing time and I stand by that. He is hitting for average and plays a solid first base. I'd like to see him get in there more. I do realize that sometimes you have to play the hot hand, so he may not necessarily be an every day player but I think he's earned more playing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment