Thursday, June 14, 2012

Matt Cain throws first perfect game in Giants history

Tonight Matt Cain threw the first perfect game in Giants history and just the 22nd in the history of baseball.  This was the first time (as far as I can remember) that I've ever watched a perfect game from start to finish and wow.  You just don't anticipate something like this happening when you turn on a game because, well, this was only the 22nd perfect game ever.

The Giants beat the Houston Astros 10-0 tonight and Cain was awesome right from the start, as you would imagine.  It's always something special to witness something like a no-hitter or a perfect game.  When it's your favorite team -- well, it's hard to use words to describe.  When the game got to the sixth or seventh inning, I had a nervous anxiousness with every pitch that Cain threw.  I wanted this to happen so badly and knew that opportunities like this don't come around every day.

In the 8th or 9th inning, I remarked to my wife that I hadn't been this nervous watching a Giants game since the 2010 World Series run.  The whole thing took on a playoffs sort of feel -- in a sense it was different because each pitch meant so much.  If even one thing were to go wrong -- a walk, a hit batter, an error defensively, and of course a hit -- the perfect game would be no more.  That's what makes it such an amazing achievement.  And I think that's what contributes to players and fans, myself included, being so happy when it does happen.

Of course there were a pair of nice defensive plays made, including an incredible catch by Gregor Blanco.  That just adds to it all.  I feel like I had to at least mention that.  What a great night.  

Cain is one of my favorite players.  In fact, I have a Cain jersey in my closet that I will be wearing tomorrow.  The script couldn't have been better than for a workhorse like Cain to throw the first perfect game in franchise history.  Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment