Saturday, December 10, 2011

Say it ain't so, Ryan!

It's being reported that Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. Braun was recently named the 2011 National League Most Valuable Player.

If this is all true, it just plain sucks. Braun has long been a representation of what's good for baseball and has been one of my favorite players. I liked that he was willing to stay in Milwaukee and he just seemed like a guy who cares and is loyal.

Braun is appealing the results of the test via arbitration. It just seems to me, though, that if he failed a test, there was a reason for it. I'm willing to see what happens with the appeal, but I'm skeptical about the whole process.

This is all a downer, because, as I mentioned, Braun was definitely one of my favorite players. I looked up to him and loved that he seemed to have so many great qualities. He seemed like he cared more about winning and loyalty than money, which can be hard to find in professional sports. This reported positive test could really taint the way Braun is viewed by the public (and by me). And if the test is indeed accurate (which seems very likely), it's just devastating.

It wouldn't just be devastating for me, but for baseball as a whole. Braun was beloved as one of the superstars of the game and just won the MVP. I was hoping and believed that baseball had made significant strides in trying to rid the game of performance-enhancing drugs. I still think baseball has made substantial progress, but this would be a big blow. It's just bad (if it's true); I think I'll stop right there for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment