Friday, July 15, 2011

Pirates in first in July

Well, it's the first place Pittsburgh Pirates (48-43). On July 15th. This is the latest the Bucs have been in first place in over a dozen years. It's truly remarkable how the Pirates are doing this, as they don't have a lot of players of note. Joel Hanrahan is having a nice season as closer, but even he wouldn't be considered a name outside of Pittsburgh. I think a lot of this success has to be attributed to new manager Clint Hurdle. It has been neat to check out a few Pirates games here and there and see larger crowds at PNC Park; there were times I wondered when I would ever see that. It's a great story and I can only hope for the sake of Pirates fans that it continues -- it has been a long time coming for the Steel City.

1 comment:

  1. Good points, all. I'm not a Pirates fan either, but it's hard not to root for a story like this.

    ReplyDelete