Saturday, September 11, 2010

Utes begin farewell tour with UNLV

The 20th ranked Utah Utes begin their farewell tour of the Mountain West Conference with a 2 p.m. MT home game against UNLV on Saturday afternoon. The game will be televised on The Mtn. which is channels 616 and 616-1 (HD) on DirecTv and channel 37 on Comcast Cable in the Salt Lake City area. This of course will be the final season that the Utes are in the MWC before joining the Pac-10 next year and it's difficult to foresee them playing some of these teams in the near future. I don't see them playing UNLV for quite some time, so it should be good to leave them something to remember us by.

The Utes looked very talented to me in the win over then 15th ranked Pittsburgh last week and looked like the better team for the better part of the game. There were, however, way too many mistakes in the opener, which I guess is to be expected when the season starts. Let's hope the Utes have cleaned those up and are focused for the conference opener.

The defense in particular looked strong against Pittsburgh with the exception of the blown coverage on Pitt's long 4th quarter touchdown pass that put them right back in striking distance. I think the defense will help to anchor the team all season long. I thought Jordan Wynn looked pretty sharp overall, not great but good. I'm fully confident in him being the quarterback for the Utes not just this year but as we move into the Pac-10 as well. I think the offense should have a pretty big day and that the defense will be staunch against inferior competition. The Utes should win by at least a couple of touchdowns.

I will again be at this game (even though it is at the same time as the big Giants-Padres showdown -- DVR is set by the way) and providing updates via twitter. You can follow me there at twitter.com/dpaysports. And of course I'll be back here on the blog after the game for my thoughts. Go Utes!

No comments:

Post a Comment