Thursday, June 17, 2010

Utes set to join Pac-10; Giants win again; Game 7 Thursday night

So word is that the University of Utah will officially announce it is joining the Pac-10 on Thursday. I'm just ecstatic about the news. There's more money, more exposure on TV and better overall competition on a consistent basis. And of course, there's the thing about being in a BCS automatic qualifying conference which will certainly help with recruiting.

Although I will miss the traditional rivalries that the Mountain West has provided on a yearly basis, I feel like this is an opportunity that Utah just couldn't pass up. My guess is that we will still play BYU on a yearly basis even though we won't be in the same conference. The rivalry will likely just be more heated as BYU fans will be upset (and already are) that the Utes have bolted for a new conference. BYU would have done the same thing and I don't think there is any way you can criticize Utah for taking an opportunity to better their program. Wow, this will give us the potential to more easily be a big time program on a consistent basis. This should definitely help recruiting (as I mentioned), not to mention our facilities.

The San Francisco Giants (37-28) beat the Baltimore Orioles (18-48) 6-3 and took two of three in the series and five of six on the home stand. Aubrey Huff and Juan Uribe each hit their 11th home runs of the year in the sixth inning and Tim Lincecum improved his record to 7-2 with ten strikeouts and two earned runs in six innings of work. Brian Wilson picked up another five out save. The Giants continue to play well and I'm looking forward to seeing their series up in Canada against the Blue Jays (36-31) starting on Friday.

And of course Game 7 of the NBA Finals is Thursday night at 7 p.m. MT on ABC. I'd highly recommend checking that one out. The Celtics looked terrible in Game 6 and it's going to take a lot more from them if they want to take home the title. I'm really excited about the prospect of a Game 7 for all the marbles. It should be really intense and exciting. Unfortunately for the Celtics Kendrick Perkins will likely miss the game with an injury. I think the Lakers will win at home behind Kobe Bryant coming up big. But I hope I'm wrong and I'm definitely expecting a close, highly contested game.

No comments:

Post a Comment